Sunday, April 17, 2011

Big Decisions

Deciding on an MBA is not easy.  In fact it is one of the biggest decisions of your life.  If you are reading this because you are considering one of Alma's International MBA's in Bologna, you're in luck - I'm writing this for you.  Why, when I should be reading for International Trade Techniques, preparing for the presentation I am giving on Gucci tomorrow for my Fashion class or writing my business plan for Luxury Cars, Bikes and Boats?  Well let's just say I don't get much sleep, but really I am happy to share my experiences to benefit everyone who was in my shoes a year ago, when I was frantically searching the internet for ANY kind of information on this school, and only coming up with their website and a few posts on MBA.com...
So why did I pick Bologna?  A few reasons.  First, I was only looking at 1 year programs, mainly because I couldn't see myself giving up 2 years of income to sit through a boring traditional MBA. Second, I wanted the international experience; and what better way to experience an MBA then to be thrown in with students from all over the world and be forced to function together for a year. 
I also considered a program in London, where I would have been able to spend time in Dubai and Shanghai.  Sounds awesome, but expensive.  Which brings me to my next point - money.  Getting an MBA in Europe is such a better deal then America, even with the dollar to euro exchange rate being as terrible as it is ( 1 U.S. dollar = 0.689417442 Euros)  ouch.
Alma offers scholarships, work- study programs, and a collaboration with UniCredit for full loans including an extra 10,000 euro for living expenses.   You can get all of this general information off of Alma's website .

Money aside, I would say the quality of education here at Alma is comparable to the U.S.  We've had some great professors, many coming from the industry, and some visiting from other leading universities - even one from Harvard.  So don't let the rankings (or lack there of) fool you, it's a great value and an unbelievable experience.

Of course not everything is perfect and living in Italy is not an easy adjustment from American life but I would definately recommend it.  Anyway, time to get some work done.  Stay tuned as I post more about my adventures in Italy.

I leave you with a pic from the entrance of our school - Villa Guastavillani, and then the view from our classroom window!  Bella! 

6 comments:

  1. Great i am due to start MBA in Fin Services and Retail in September 2012 and i have been hunting for information about the school. I will start with your blog thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my email is thokoziletnewman@gmail.com i would appreciate if you inbox me more about accomodation arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I think this is simply great as I feel it is important to finance your education and these scholarships are just perfect. I will forward this info to my friend who is looking to do global MBA next year.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone advise as to why the masters degree program demands two years of having a bachelors before even applying to the program? Please teach me at andreaingrande@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone advise as to why the masters degree program demands two years of having a bachelors before even applying to the program? Please teach me at andreaingrande@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LL. I still hope you check this blog after so long. I was just accepted to BBS and I had some specific questions about housing, and what site you found your apartment and just the cost of living in general. Also had some specific questions about loans as an American student. Could you email me at Adwoa888@yahoo.com so I could ask you more specific questions. Thanks for putting this blog together, its really been informative.

    ReplyDelete